Monday, November 25, 2013

Winter Garden Update

What a difference a month makes!
 This is how my winter garden looked just 1 month ago.

 
 
 
Now it looks like this.
 
 
 
In the lower right part of this bed I had originally seeded some Spinach. It came up well, but after getting 1 1/2" tall it started disappearing. Probably taken out by Cut Worms. So I planted a few Collard seedlings to fill in that space. The rest of the plants are doing great. I'm not sure why they are doing so well. Maybe it is because of the double dug bed....maybe it is because of the large amount of compost that I dug in. Whatever the reason I'm very happy with the results. I'll be eating fresh Collards for Thanksgiving!
 
 
 
The Turnips are growing well too!
 
 
 
This is Okinawa Spinach that I started from a cutting. I was surprised at how good it taste the first time I tried it. It is tender and mild with an almost sweet flavor. A very good addition to a salad! If you can get some cuttings give it try.
 
 
 
 I'm not sure what this flower is. It came out of a mix of seeds from a friend. It was suppose to be a mix of Fennel and Cilantro, which were in the mix. Anyway, it adds some color to the bed.
Can anyone identify it?
 
UPDATE: David the Good from www.floridasurvivalgardening.com has identified this flower for me. It is a purple Cosmo...it will self seed and come back every year. WOOHOO!
Thanks David! 
 
 
 
This bed has convinced me that double digging makes a difference and it isn't that much more work once the soil from the first trench is removed. I think it has also shown me that raised beds don't dry out to fast, at least during the cooler months. I'm going to try this method when I dig my new beds for spring!
 
 
 
Soooo...... Until next time...... HAPPY GARDENING!
 
 
 



 




No comments:

Post a Comment