Friday, November 8, 2013

Fall Bloomers Part 2

The name of this plant escapes me at the moment ( when I look up the name I'll do an update), but it is one of my favorites because it draws in Zebra Longwing Butterflies.
UP DATE: The name of this plant is Firebush (Hamelia patens). Its related to Gardenia and Coffee. 
 
 
This plant dies back to the ground every winter, then grows back during the summer to a size of 8 feet high and 10 feet wide.

 
It has tubular blooms that also brings in Hummingbirds
 
 
 
Cannas are still blooming..... starting to look tattered at this time of year.
 
 
 
 
Here is a Knock-Out rose that needs to be cut back.....it makes long lasting Roses for a vase.


Then we have Milkweed which is a host plant for Monarch Butterflies. They lay eggs on them, then when the young hatch they eat all the leaves, but the plants always recover.


I found this bug on the Milkweed. I also found one laying eggs on my Collard Greens.


 
                                            Can anyone identify this bug?


And finally, this isn't a bloomer, but I'm happy with the way this turned out. I planted a few sprigs of Fern around an Oak tree in my front yard about 4 years ago. This is what it looks like now.



Soooo...... Until next time.......HAPPY GARDENING!

 

2 comments:

  1. Yes... I can name that disgusting bug on the milkweed... I hand-pick hundreds of them.
    Milkweed bug, they eat the seeds.
    With the tropical milkweed.... doesn't much matter, but they are a problem with asclepias tuberosa... which tend to problematic propagation even without all the milkweed bugs.
    Did it really lay eggs on the collards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the I.D. on the Milkweed bug. Yes... it did appear to be laying eggs on the collards. It was on the edge of a leaf, tucking its rear end under the leaf. I swatted it away from the plant, but didn't actually find any eggs.
      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete