Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fall Bloomers Part 1

While I'm on a non-gardening project, I would like to share some photos of plants and other things on my property. I don't have a manicured lawn or garden....just not my style. With my landscape plants I water and fertilize only during the first year after planting to help them develop strong root systems.    After that the plants are on their own. They have got to be tough to stay in my yard.

This is a Bleeding Heart Vine (Clerodendrum thomsoniae) growing on one of my fences.

 
It blooms profusely in the fall and draws in Hummingbirds, Butterflies and other pollinators.
 
Here is a Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly feeding on it.
 

 
 
Next is a shot of the first mutt that ever came up in my garden. I let it grow to see if it would bloom.
 


After some research I found that he was a Shi Tzu x Poodle hybrid.
 His name is Captain Jack Poodle! Or just Jack for short. He is rooted under the Bleeding Heart Vine, but up-roots himself sometimes to chase birds, butterflies, squirrels and lizards.

 This is a clump of Mexican Petunias (Ruellia spc.) I'm not sure if it is R. brittoniana or R. malacosperma. They are easily confused.....or at least I am.



These are volunteers that came up in the spot where I once had a compost pile. They draw in lots of Butterflies, too.

In my next post I will share some more photos.


Sooo...... Until next time.....HAPPY GARDENING!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment