Sunday, June 22, 2014

HELP! My Garden is Overgrowing Me!


Hello folks!

Last week I harvested the largest of my Yardlong Beans and had enough for a couple of meals. They were delicious cooked with onions and crumbled bacon. I decided to let them fill out a little more and pick some this weekend. I'm here to tell you.....this may have been a mistake! I've never seen anything grow so fast!
 This morning I harvested 10 pounds of beans! A lot have grown to the point that they will have to be shelled. I'm going to spend the afternoon freezing most of these, then I'll cook the rest for supper and fry some of the Hill Country Red Okra. I fried some of the Okra last week and it was sweet and tender. Even the large pods were tender! I think I over planted the beans this year. Maybe I shouldn't have planted the whole 20 foot long trellis with beans!   Live and learn!




Here is some more of my harvest from this morning.



The Matt's Wild Cherry Tomatoes are growing so wildly that the branches from separate plants are reaching out and sort of weaving together, helping to support each other.



This is a cluster of the Riesentrube Cherry Tomatoes.They are highly productive and have a delicious, sweet flavor. I will be growing both of these again next year.




This is a Tropic Tomato. They are really sweet and meaty with small seed pockets. Wonderful!
 I will grow these again, also.
 You can see the damage done by caterpillars. They are even getting into some of the tomatoes and ruining them.



 But, I have purchased some B.t. (Bacillus thuringiesis).



I learned about B.t. back in the '80s from Mother Earth News. It is derived from milk and is OMRI listed. It targets caterpillars only and is not harmful to birds, earthworms or beneficial insects. Totally organic! As I sprayed it on the plants, lots of the caterpillars just dropped off the plants. They don't like it!
 BWAHAHAHA! (That was my evil laugh).


The Black Beauty Eggplants are starting to produce fruit. 
I can't wait for some eggplant casserole!



The Nardello's Sweet Italian Peppers are producing well,also.



Here are some pollinators hard at work in the garden.



There are lots of wasp in the garden, too. I don't try to get close enough for a photo because I'm allergic.

So, this year I have probably planted too much of somethings and not enough of others, but as I stated earlier....Live and Learn!

Next year I will be wiser.

Anyone want to come and pick some beans!



So....Until next time....HAPPY GARDENING! 

2 comments:

  1. WOW - and I do mean wow! Look at those beans . . . fantastic! The only thing I have left in my garden is cherry tomatoes and I'm already looking forward to starting my fall seedlings.

    Thanks for sharing the information on B.t. I'll have to order some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked in the seed catalog and read the growing notes on the yardlong beans. It states that the beans should be harvested at 12 - 15 inches. That explains why I had to shell some of them.
      I have already ordered seeds for a fall / winter garden. I look forward to starting it, too.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete