Saturday, December 28, 2013

Seeds for Spring Garden

Hello folks!

Before Christmas,  I couldn't stand it any longer......I ordered seed for my 2014 garden. After extensively searching through their on-line catalog, I placed an order with Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. They specialize in heirloom and open pollinated seed, specifically for the hot, humid climate of the southeastern states.

 
Here is a list of what I ordered.
  • SPANISH BROCAD FRENCH MARIGOLDS
  • MAMMOTH SUNFLOWERS
  • GREEN POD RED SEED ASPARAGUS BEAN  (YARD LONG)
  • DAIKON RADISH (MIYASHIGE WHITE)
  • BLACK BEAUTY EGGPLANT
  • JIMMY NARDELLO'S ITALIAN SWEET PEPPER
  • ABRAHAM LINCOLN TOMATO
  • TROPIC VFN TOMATO (Developed by the University of Florida)
  • RIESENTRAUBE CHERRY TOMATO
  • MATT'S WILD CHERRY TOMATO
  • AMISH PASTE TOMATO
  • ASIAN CUCUMBER (SUYO LONG)
  • YELLOW CROOKNECK SQUASH
  • SLO-BOLT LOOSE LEAF LETTUCE
  • WILD GARDEN LETTUCE MIX
  • HILL COUNTRY HEIRLOOM RED OKRA
  • BUCKWHEAT (COVER CROP)
  • CRIMSON CLOVER (COVER CROP)
As you can probably tell, I love growing tomatoes. I haven't ever grown any of these varieties, so this will be a year of experimenting to determine which will grow best in my area. After I find varieties that grow well and taste good, I plan on trying to cross breed some tomatoes and see if I can develop a tomato of my own.
 
A lot of these seed varieties were chosen because they are suppose to be able to take the heat or have good resistance to disease.
 
I'll be starting the tomatoes, pepper and eggplant inside in a few weeks so they will be ready for planting by March.
 
I CAN'T WAIT !!!
 
Also, a big "THANK YOU" to Southern Exposure Seed Exchange for their great, fast service.
They shipped out my order on Dec. 24th and I received it on the 26th.
 
 
Soooo......Until next time......HAPPY GARDENING!
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. What's up with red okra? Is it actually red?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be the first time I have grown this variety. According to the Southern Exposure Seed Exchange catalog, this is a Texas Heirloom. It has red stalks and leaf stems with green pods that have reddish tips. I chose this because I'm planting it in the rebuilt bed at the south end of my house. This is the first thing visitors see when they drive up to my house. I thought this variety would be decorative. We'll see. :)

      Delete
    2. Keep us posted. Sounds interesting.

      Delete
    3. Will do! Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I grow burgandy okra. It is beautiful and attracts fire ants like crazy... but what doesn't. Delicious, though. My Chinese Red Noodles went crazy last year, even with animal destruction. Looking forward to seeing how the asparagus beans turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep you posted as to how the beans do. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete