Monday, December 16, 2013

Winter Gardening

Gardening slows down at this time of year, even in north Florida. I have my winter garden, but it doesn't require much work.....just a little weeding now and then, and harvesting every few weeks.



 It has grown very well. I harvested my first bunch of Collards on Thanksgiving (should have took a photo...didn't think about at the time).



 I'll harvest my first Turnip Greens for Christmas. I'll try to remember to get a photo when I do.

 
 
At this time of year I spend a lot of time going through seed catalogs, planning my spring garden and day dreaming about spring planting. I have high hopes and a lot of excitement about how my garden will turn out. (I do this every year)  I read a lot of gardening books and magazines for new ideas and inspiration.

I'll start Tomato plants inside next month, followed by Eggplant and sweet Peppers. Everything else will be direct seeded in the garden starting in March.

Recently, from you-tube, I have got new ideas about vermicomposting and something called wicking beds. I look forward to trying a wicking bed next year. That may be how I garden once I get too old for digging the earth. You can find a ton of information about wicking beds at "Rob Bob" on you-tube.

So if you aren't busy with your gardening at this time, enjoy the rest and relaxation. It won't be long before we will all be busy...busy ...busy with gardening activity! I don't know about you, but I can't wait!


Soooo...... Until next time......HAPPY GARDENING!

No comments:

Post a Comment