Monday, December 2, 2013

Digging New Beds 1

 I have started a new gardening project......digging new beds for spring planting. I'm digging these beds inside of a small part of my yard that has been fenced for pets. I am going to grow in the fenced area to keep rabbits and raccoons out of the garden. I have added a fence that is 2 feet high to keep my dog out. You may be able to see it in this photo.
 
 
 
 
These beds will add 200 square feet of growing space. Because of the dog fencing, it will have a 24 inch wide path all the way around inside the fence and one between the beds.
 
In one of my post a reader commented that he liked the step by step photos, so I am going to do step by step photos with this. This will take so long to complete that it will require more than one post to cover it all.
 
I have another area in my yard where I have room for 800 square feet of beds. I have to fence it first to keep out the critters. After it is fenced I plan to add two 100 square foot beds each year. Hand digging 200 square feet of growing space is a lot of work for one person! But I think it is good for the body and the soul.

Don't you agree? ...  ;)

After working on this project for several hours over the last two days, I can see that this is going to take a lot of time to complete. I have decided to get one bed completed  with the paths around it. This is so that I can get some leaves turned into the bed and give them time to decompose and add organic matter to the soil by spring.

Here is how far I have gotten at this point.



I'm removing the sod instead of turning it under because it is all weeds. Some of them (Dollar weed) would quickly regrow if turned under. The sod is being used to fill in a low spot in my yard.
 
 
Soooo......Until next time......HAPPY GARDENING!
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Great job! Rabbits and raccoons have all but destroyed my garden this winter. I'm looking into my cheapest options for keeping them out. Thanks for your great posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Its very discouraging when critters destroy the garden after so much hard work. I use 2" x 4" welded wire fencing, but a raccoon could probably climb over if it was determined to get in.

      Delete