Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Starting a Worm Bin - UPDATE

Hello folks!


In a past post, I had a video about starting a worm bin. I have been doing some research on this and have found that may not be the best way to start one.  I found a YouTube channel from a professional worm farmer with lots of information. Its called Big Tex Worms.


 Here is a video from a pro on the correct way to start a worm bin.




I was surprised with the fact that she doesn't use drainage holes...every video that I've seen from other sources always used drain holes. Maybe they where not maintaining their bins properly. Of course, if you want to collect worm juice from a large bin, you have to have a drain hole.



My worms have out grown their small bin, so I'm starting a new larger bin. I'm going to follow her advice and see how it goes. I couldn't find coco coir locally, so I ordered some on Amazon. If you look through the list you can find suppliers with free shipping.



If any of you have lots of experience with worm composting, please comment on this and let us know what you have learned.






So......Until next time......HAPPY GARDENING!



No comments:

Post a Comment