Monday, January 6, 2014

First Freeze

Hello folks!

We are about to see our first freeze of the year. The predicted low tonight for St. Augustine is 24 degrees! From my experience, the temperature in my area can be from 8 to 10 degrees colder than St. Augustine. I've just got to hunker down and ride it out.

I've been busy today getting prepared for it. I brought all my potted plants in and put them close to windows that get some sun.




With this years winter garden, it is the first time I've had veggies growing when temperatures are getting this low. I didn't want to lose the greens I have growing so I harvested most of them. I'm thinking the collards might survive, but probably not the turnips.

So I spent some time preparing and freezing my greens. I've put up quart bags in the freezer....1 bag of turnip greens, 2 bags of turnips and 3 bags of collards. Whew... it was a lot of work, but it will be worth it this winter ..... if I want some greens, I can take them out of the freezer and cook them.

I still need to go out and pick some Okinawa Spinach to add to salads. I'm sure it will freeze.

If you live in an area that is getting a hard freeze tonight, be sure to protect your plants, pipes and pets.


Soooo......Until next time ......HAPPY GARDENING!

No comments:

Post a Comment