Saturday, June 7, 2014

Veg Update - 2014

Hello folks!




My spring / summer garden is coming right along!
These are Matt's Wild Cherry. They have grown to the top of their stakes and I am pinching them off at that height. Maybe that is why they are called "Wild". They have out grown all of the other varieties.



I harvested my first Tomatoes this past week. They are from the Matt's Wild Cherry. Small fruits loaded with flavor....perfect size for a salad.


The Tropic Tomatoes are loaded with fruit...



....as are the Abraham Lincoln Tomatoes.



The Yardlong Beans have grown to the top of the trellis. I have been looking for blooms for the last two weeks, but none had appeared and I have wondered if the soil had too much nitrogen. But finally today I noticed flower buds forming on the vines. Happiness is a blooming plant!



I also harvested my first Hill Country Heirloom Red Okra.... but it is only two pods for now.



 But there are more on the plants. I can't wait for some fried Okra! This months issue of Southern Living has a good looking recipe. Instead of cutting up the Okra, wack the pod with a mallet to split it down it's length. Dip it in buttermilk, roll it in cornmeal and fry it. Looks delicious... I'm going to have to try it!



The Cucumbers are having a problem. The leaves start turning yellow, then curl up and die.


This may be a fungus problem, but I'm not sure. Anyone know what this is? If so, please comment.

Here is my first Cucumber.


Its a Suyo Long. Sweet flavored, burpless Cucumber from China.

Here are a few more photos.

Purple Cosmos.


French Marigolds.


Cassava and Okra.

The Cassava has reached the bottom of the windows!



It is fun growing all these varieties that I've never grown before.
And there is nothing as satisfying as harvesting food that that I have grown!
God has blessed me with a productive garden!



So....until next time....HAPPY GARDENING!

2 comments:

  1. I would guess powdery mildew might be the problem with your cucumbers. It hits mine every single year, but usually not before I've had a good harvest. Your tomatoes look amazing! Other than those little Everglades FL tomatoes, I have a tough time growing them without problems. I say never again year after year . . . and each spring or fall there I go planting seeds again. Such is the curse of a gardener. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Elizabeth! I'll have to do some research on controlling powdery mildew. I think I saw something on You Tube about organic treatment for it. Alas, I too suffer from the curse of being a gardener! But home grown tomatoes taste so good compared to store bought, they are worth it even if you only get a few. I wish you good luck with your 'maters.;)

      Delete